Mission, Vision & Goals
The Association of Oncology Social Work (AOSW) is a non-profit international organization dedicated to the enhancement of psychosocial services to people with cancer, their families and caregivers. Created in 1984 by social workers interested in oncology, AOSW has become the world’s largest professional organization entirely dedicated to the psychosocial care of people affected by cancer.
AOSW membership is comprised of an international set of professionals and students who practice in hospitals, cancer centers, home care agencies, hospice, community-based oncology practices, community programs, patient advocacy organizations, educational institutions and other settings.
To advance excellence in the psychosocial care of persons with cancer, their families, and caregivers through:
- Resource Development
AOSW envisions a global society in which oncology care meets the physical, emotional, social and spiritual needs of all people affected by cancer.
Downloadable Oncology Social Worker Content
- Increase awareness of the psychosocial effects of cancer
- Advance the practice of psychosocial interventions that enhance quality of life and recovery of persons with cancer and their families
- Foster communication and support among psychosocial oncology caregivers
- Further the study of psychological and social effects of cancer through research and continuing education
- Advocate for programs and policies to meet the psychosocial needs of oncology patients and their families
- Promote liaison activities with other psychosocial oncology groups and professional oncology organizations
- Promote the highest professional standards and ethics in the practice of oncology social work